BCN Incubator Policy--
3-16-95 draft--to be reviewed by BCN Management Team
Regarding Information Providers, the Boulder Community Network
is primarily dedicated to the development of Web presence for
organizations, club and non-profits who otherwise aren't being served by
existing commercial servers. Please refer to BCN Policy
for a more complete discussion.
BCN's intent is to foster growth by adding value to its services. We
invite information aggregators to work with BCN in bringing collections of
information to the BCN community. The purpose of this policy statement is
to clarify BCN's position regarding the incubation of new projects that
may include commercial aspects.
BCN's working definition of an incubator and requirements for
- Limited space on BCN's server for the purpose of proving the
existence of a market for a service not currently being offered in the
Boulder County area.
- Preference will be given to services that provide benefit to the
community rather than to a particular business niche.
Examples of preferred services include the aggregation of information in
the following areas:
- Medical, dental or chiropratic communities (including referral
information, services rendered, location, and alternative medicine)
- Comprehensive collection of trial maps and related hiking and
- Compilation of local artists and their works
- An integrated and County-wide cultural events calendar
- A "sunset" date will be negotiated with perspective contributors
indicating the amount of time required for making the project operational.
- Sunset time limits can range from several weeks to no longer than 6
- Anyone pursuing a project must bring all technical expertise required
for starting the project and continuing maintenance. This includes, but
is not limited to, html experience.
- A project proposal must be submitted to BCN Management that provides a
detailed description of how the group or person plans to carry out the
- BCN Management reserves the right to deny the project.
- Disk space will be offered to the project manager based on need.
- Project manager must locate a commercial server for the
collection by the sunset date originally negotiated with the management
team. If the information is determined by BCN Management to be
strictly of a not-for-profit type, it may remain on the BCN server.