Technical Advisory Committee
Thursday, June 3rd 1999
5:15pm - 7:00pm PROPOSED
5:15pm - 7:20pm ACTUAL
1. Domain Name
Jim Yonan for the domain name Swing in Action discovered that
Indras Net is charging the same fee for a redirect as they would for hosting the web site. Swing in Action domain name is hosted on Jim Yonans own server
Jim Yonan would like to see BCN host domain names on a
server. Concerns were raised about the difference of doing domain names as a test case Vs. day to day operations. Jim Y. will present at July TAC meeting
BCN needs to create three documents:
1. formal agreement between nonprofit and BCN (may be part of new
language in the information provier contract)
2. Memorandum of understanding between BCN and the ISP
3. Recommended language
1. NEAL - FAQ / Review of Jim Ws document iscoming
2. JIM W. Respond to Indras net about:
A. ongoing policy
B. fee structure for Swing in Action and other nonprofits
2. Domain Name Fees
DECISION - Jim H.
This is a larger issue regarding how BCN asks for money
This is a board agneda item regarding how BCN asks for donations from its nonprofit users and how nonprofit websites hosted by BCN can demonstrate themselves to be a part of the BCN community.
To ask for donations from BCN nonprofit users we need to:
1. Know who they are? What they are doing on BCN? How much disk space? Domain name? CGI scripts? Hits? ect metrics
BCN through TAC will NOT pursue charging nonprofits for web hosting with or without domain
1. BRENDA Featured Nonprofit on the Home Page (Like a site of the month, may be an incentive for nonprofits to give, future will be an automated list of featured nonprofits thatautomaticly get chaged on the home page)
2. NEAL & JIM W Will ask for board help at the next board meeting to take on the task of framing a fundraising request letter to BCN nonprofit users and encouraging them to be a part of the BCN community by including BCNs logo and link to the BCN home page on their organizations website.
3. JIM H. Will write a volunteer descriotion and coordinate the task of collecting the URL addresses and contact information for every nonprofit BCN hosts.
4. JIM W Will send Jim H. and Paul T. a DIPP listing of all the URLs in its database
5. PAUL T. Will use the DIPP URL information to search for other sites on BCN using a program that maps out the BCN site hierarchy. He is encouraged to do this one center at a time initially.
DECISION - Jim H.
Who on TAC will help staff develop an E-commerce proposal for the BCN website?
this is to generate a proposal to go to the board then to TAC if requested
Steve O. will be asked
Ken F. will be asked
Jim W. will work with staff as last resort on an
E-Commerce proposal to take online donations for BCN Essentially all may serve as TAC legwork persons for E-Commerce proposal to the board
- Jim W.
Discussion is to lead to an action plan for generating BCN policy on CGI.
Who will join Ernie and Jim W ?
A helpful discussion with Ernies concerns adequately addressed
Nonprofiots may pay BCN to write CGI scripts
1. NEAL, JIM W, & ERNIE Will assess how bad of a problem are CGI scripts on BCN server
5. Review DECISIONS and ACTION ITEMS
JULY 1ST 1999 PROPOSED TAC AGENDA ITEMS
(PLEASE Submit additional items to Jim H.)
Review, Revise & Accept Agenda
Review Revise & Accpet previous meeting minutes
Update Previous Action Items
1. Domain Name Update:
2. BCN Hosting Domain names Jim Yonan review date for item as requested of board
3. Conferencing / chat software for BCN
4. Information Provider Contract :
Jim H - Shall TAC recommend the information provider contract be changed to:
a.. require the nonprofit who is hosted by BCN to notify BCN when they have a domain name hosted by another ISP & nclude formal language between BCN and nonprofit about domain hosting
b. Strongly suggest that for web site services a donation should be considered especially if they are doing extras like:
Large disk space (Include recommended disk space limits)
Review Action Items, Decisions, Meeting