Neal McBurnett email@example.com
John Pope firstname.lastname@example.org
Jim Yonan email@example.com
Accepted previous meeting minutes
Update Previous Action Items 6.3.99
1. NEAL - FAQ / Review of Jim Ws document is coming
2. BRENDA - Featured Nonprofit on the Home Page (Like a site of the month, may be an incentive for nonprofits to give, future will be an automated list of featured nonprofits that automaticly getchanged on the home page)
3. NEAL & JIM W - Will ask for board help at the next board meeting to take on the task of framing a fundraising request letter to BCN nonprofit users and encouraging them to be a part of the BCN community by including BCNs logo and link to the BCN home page on their organizations website.
4. JIM H. - Will write a volunteer descriotion and coordinate the task of collecting the URL addresses and contact information for every nonprofit BCN hosts.
5. JIM W - Will send Jim H. and Paul T. a DIPP listing of all the URLs in its database DONE!!
6. PAUL T.- Will use the DIPP URL information to search for other sites on BCN using a program that maps out the BCN site hierarchy. He is encouraged to do this one center at a time initially. He and JimW. very busy with Basin will get back to this
7. NEAL, JIM W, JOHN P. & ERNIE - Will assess how bad of a problem are CGI scripts on BCN server. John P will be looking at logs on CGI scripts after his one week vacation. Brenda gave him access on BCN.
8. JIM H will ask Steve O. ,Ken F. and as last resort Jim W. to work on an E-Commerce proposal to take online donations for BCN Essentially all may serve as TAC legwork persons for E-Commerce proposal to the board
1. Domain Name Policy
- Jim W.
2. ISP's & Domain Name Redirects
DECISION & GROUP WORK
BCN and its clients are moving ahead with redirects
we will only do HTML redirects not SMTP or others.
Those services will be provided by the ISP providing the domain name
redirect and hosting if at all.
September School is at Indras net, Indra net wanted an IP address
IHAD is at Rockynet (Mike Lewinskii BCN volunteer and Paul Macka)
Swinginaction at JimYonans due to Indras net wanting to charge anr requiring BCN to give an IP address
BCN should provide only initial conversation or the following
documents for Domain name issues and nothing more. We tell people BCN
wants no part of hosting domain names but here is where you can
find out about how to get your name hosted and redirected to a BCN web page
SO YOU WANT A DOMAIN?
Paragraph to describe it
(BCN does not do this but others do and this is how they can do it our way)
PLEASE ALLOW TWO WEEKS FOR THE PROCES
STEP ONE - See if the domain name is available and cost to acquire and register
STEP TWO - If you want to pursue options check out BCNs approved ISP domain name host & redirect providers
xwebco/ rockynet IT I OK
IF XWEBCO IS THE ONLY ONE ON THE LIST AS LONG AS PROCESS EXISTS WHERE OTHERS CAN JOIN
If you have a server and want to provide redirects to BCN pages check out
QUALIFICATIONs to be an approved ISP domain name host and redirect provider
MODEL HOW IT CAN BE DONE
CONCERNS were raised about how to deal with older browsers that can not be redirectedinternet explorer 2, mosiac, Netscape 2 WEBCO has proposed doing an index page from which olderbrowsers can get to where they want to go
why BCN doesnt host domain names ecty
BCN CUSTOMERS SHOULD ASK THESE QUESTION AND THE ISP SHOULD ANSWER
1. How to register with Internic making VERY sure ownership of the name and the administrative contact be at an e-mail address and account different from the ISP address that is hosting and redirecting the domain name
2. contact info at the ISP. Who is the technical person?
3. Variations on namestandards
4. for e-mail, FTP and other protocols
are these services supported by the ISP
what is the charge
where will webmaster for domain name e-mail go
BCN clients can do a TekMatch project if they need help following these instructuions
1. MIKE LEWINSKI will write up a web page answering these questions and a MEMO on how they deal with older browsers. (BRENDA will follow up with)
2. Jim W. will review this page when done
3. JimW. & Mike will connect with @ SMTP and the adding of SPTP script alias
4. Jim Y. to do a how to redirect your own server document to be shared within the technical community. BCN tools page will link to his server for this document
At end of BCN hosted web page have Brought to you by BCN Please send comments to XXXX / not BCN AN ISP MUST accept mail under the domain name and not send/bounce the mail to BCN
MEMO OF UNDERSTANDING WITH ISP
E-mail FTP protocolsa
ISP answers all domain name questions
is ISP stops hosting they need to let client know not just BCN
BCN is outlining a process for a third party to do Domain names
BCN does not do DNS
BCN does not do IP allocation
3. Information Provider Contract 20 Min : 6:25 - 6:45
Shall TAC recommend the information providercontract be changed to
1. require the nonprofit who is hosted by BCN to notify BCN when they have a domain name hosted by another ISP & include formal language between BCN and nonprofit about domain hosting
2. Strongly suggest that for web site services a donation should be considered especially if they are doing extras like
Large disk space (Include recommended disk spacelimits)
when spending $ on information technolgy don't forget to make a donation to BCN who gave you a hand up to learn about this technolgy so BCN can help others
if you want to do something new and fancy on BCN consider the direct and indirect costs it hasd on BCN and please help pay for those costs
BCN is a content provider BCN does not do domain names or ISP services
remember who helped to get you started in the owrld of information technolgy. help us hep others
1. Jim H. wil add sentences to ISP contract for managemnt list review and poential board call up. A legal review is also advised.
Include statement of Disclaimer (BCN does not host Domain names)
4. Review DECISIONS, MEETING and ACTION ITEMS
15 minutes: 6:45 - 7:00pm
August 5th 1999 PROPOSED TAC AGENDA ITEMS
(PLEASE Submit additional items to Jim H.
Review, Revise & Accept Agenda
Review Revise & Accpet previous meeting minutes
Update Previous Action Items
1. Domain Name Policy Document update
2. E-Commerce for BCN
3. Conferencing / chat software for BCN
Review Action Items, Decisions, Meeting
unspecified type (APPLICATION/OCTET-STREAM)