Technical Advisory Committee
Thursday, August 5th 1999
5:15pm - 7:00pm
Paul Von Behren
Accepted previous meeting minutes 1999-7-1
Review, Revised & Accepted Agenda 1999-8-5
Updated & Revised Action Items 1999-6-3
1. Domain Name Policy Document update
Neal & Jim W.
2. Community Tools page
BCN director question is everything up to date there?
3. Indexing/ searching BCN
Troy & Roy
4. New Business
Review New Action Items, Decisions, Meeting
UPDATED & REVISED ACTION ITEMS
1. BRENDA-Featured Nonprofit on the Home Page (Like a site of the month, may be an incentive for nonprofits to give, future will be an automated list of featured nonprofits that automatically get changed on the home page)
WILL DO AND PASS ON TO JOELLE AS ONGOING ED RESPONSIBILITY
2. JIM H.-Will write a volunteer description and coordinate the task of collecting the URL addresses and contact information for every nonprofit
BEGUN LIST OF ORGANIZATIONS WILL SEEK VOLUNTEER HELP.
NEED LIST OF STEPS FOR THE VOLUNTEER.
SHOULD THEY WORK WITH PAUL TIGER CENTER BY CENTER?
WILL SEEK VOLUNTEER FOR
MARY ANN PALIANI WILL CREATE DATABASE FIELDS FOR
INFORMATION TO BE
STORED IN ACCESS DATABASE
3. JIM H -will ask Steve O. ,Ken F. and as last resort Jim W. to work on an E-Commerce proposal to take on-line donations for BCN Essentially all may serve as TAC legwork persons for E-Commerce proposal to the board.
E-MAILED STEVE & DEAN R. OF XOR FOR TIMELINE AND TASK UPDATE
WILL E-MAIL KEN F
WILL KEEP ISSUE ON TAC TO DO LIST
4. Jim H. -will add sentences to ISP contract for management list review and potential board call up. A legal review is also advised.
DONE BUT I DID NOT INCLUDE saying we do not provide domain name hosting. Remembering we did not want to include a list of all the things BCN will not do. We can easily change this if we desire.
CONFIRMED THAT WE DONT WANT TO ADD TO THE AGREEMENT THE
THINGS WE WILL NOT DO
SEND TO PIERRE FOR BOARD AGENDA
5. JIM W -Will send Jim H. and Paul T. a DIPP listing of all the URLs in its database DONE!! REVIEW AND MERGE LIST WITH ORGANIZATIONAL LIST
JIM W. WILL REDO AND GIVE TO JIM H.
6. NEAL & JIM W -Will ask for board help at the next board meeting to take on the task of framing a fundraising request letter to BCN nonprofit users and encouraging them to be a part of the BCN community by including BCNs logo and link to the BCN home page on their organizations website.
JIM H. WILL FORWARD ISSUE TO PIERRE FOR A FUTURE BOARD AGENDA ITEM
7. NEAL, JIM W, JOHN P. & ERNIE Will assess how bad of a problem are CGI scripts on BCN server. John P will be looking at logs on CGI scripts after his one week vacation. Brenda gave him access on BCN.
NO REPORTED PROGRESS
8. PAUL T. Will use the DIPP URL information to search for other sites on BCN using a program that maps out the BCN site hierarchy. He is encouraged to do this one center at a time initially. He and JimW. very busy with Basin will get back to this.
NO REPORTED PROGRESS PAUL REMAINS BUSY WITH BASIN PROJECTS
9. JIM H. Will e-mail Ernies about the possibility of him adding the E_MERGE name to the reader response form available on the tools page.
10. JIM H Will share with Center Developers the Touch Space command for removing files from the BCN search engine
11. ROY OLSEN - will research Glimpse, Webbot and evaluate in general search engines for BCN to use
12. PAUL V. -will research if there is a secure means to list the file date- when last updated? and by who?- without adding extra work to Jim W.
DOMAIN NAME RELATED ACTION ITEMS
1. MIKE LEWINSKI -will write up a web page answering these questions and a MEMO on how they deal with older browsers.
BRENDA E-MAILED MIKE AND HAS GOTTEN NO RESPONSE
2. Jim W. will review this page when done
3. JimW. & Mike will connect with @ SMTP and the adding of SPTP script alias
4. Jim Y. to do a how to redirect your own server document to be shared within the technical community. BCN tools page will link to his server for this document
5. Jim Y is doing a document on how to set up on your own server
6. NEAL --FAQ / Review of Jim Ws document is coming
PROGRESS IS BEING MADE AT http://bcn.boulder.co.us/faq/domain.html
7.BRENDA will meet with Joelle to go over the memo of understanding BCN should have with ISPs providing a domain name host for web sites on BCN
1. DOMAIN NAME POLICY DOCUMENT UPDATE
DO YOU WANT A DOMAIN?
Paragraph to describe it
BCN does not do this but others do and this is how they can do it our way)
STEP ONE - See if the domain name is available and cost to acquire and register
STEP TWO - If you want to pursue options check out BCNs approved ISP domain name host & redirect providers
IF YOU ARE A INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER and want to provide redirects to BCN pages check out (Process by which other ISPs may join the list)
QUALIFICATIONs to be an approved ISP domain name host and redirect provider
MODEL HOW IT CAN BE DONE
CONCERNS were raised about how to deal with older browsers that can not be redirected
internet explorer 2, mosiac, Netscape 2 WEBCO has proposed doing an index page from which older browsers can get to where they want to go
why do they say BCN instead of www.nonprofit.org
why BCN doesnt host domain names ect
BCN CUSTOMERS SHOULD ASK THESE QUESTION AND THE ISP SHOULD ANSWER
NOT HAVING ANSWERS TO THESE QUESTIONS COULD HURT BCN IN THE
HASSLES BCN WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH
1. How to register with Internic making VERY sure ownership of the name and the administrative contact be at an e-mail address and account different from the ISP address that is hosting and redirecting the domain name
2. contact info at the ISP. Who is the technical person?
3. Variations on name standards
4. for e-mail, FTP and other protocols
are these services supported by the ISP
what is the charge
where will webmaster for domain name e-mail go
BCN clients can do a TekMatch project if they need help following these instructions
At end of BCN hosted web page have Brought to you by BCN Please send comments to XXXX / not BCN
AN ISP MUST accept mail under the domain name and not send/bounce the mail to BCN
MEMO OF UNDERSTANDING WITH ISP
E-mail FTP protocols
ISP answers all domain name questions
is ISP stops hosting they need to let client know not just BCN
BCN is outlining a process for a third party to do Domain names
BCN does not do DNS
BCN does not do IP allocation
ADDITIONAL DOMAIN NAME COMMENTS
Please review these documents. The reason BCN doesnt do domain name hosting is that we dont want a lot of questions.
What do you do if this document doesn't answer your questions
If you have further questions DONT ask BCN for a personal answer.
PLEASE do give comments if you thin they will help others understand the process as well
BCN should list who can help them
Multi domain SMTP
Jim W. reports if they dont configure it the real host NOT BCN gets the mail
2. Community Tools page
BCN director question is everything up to date there?
Ernie Stiltners Reader Response form is a CGI script called E-Merge. E-Merge is the name the author of the script calls it.
Reader Response form is a name most often understandable by the nonprofits we work with. Any way to use both names?
Script was checked out by previous BCN TAC meetings and approved for use on BCN
Other CGI scripts need BCN TAC scrutiny and approval before posting
3. INDEXING / SEARCHING BCN
TO KEEP THE BCN SEARCH ENGINE FROM FINDING THE FILES
TOUCH SPACE COMMANDS
wait one date for server to update
>I came across a problem with LINC related to the BCN search engine here: http://bcn.boulder.co.us/cgi-bin/aliwebsimple.pl
>That engines pull up OLD LINC documents, which was very confusing for one organization. Although she wasn't supposed to be using that engine for LINC anyhow, it does bring up the issue that the old LINC pages apparently are still on the BCN server somewhere. And the aliweb engine does not find the new LINC pages. Is there something you can do about this? Or is it a BCN issue for Brenda? I cc'd her in case this is out of your hands.
I noticed this myself a while back. aliwebsimple.pl is just a bit too simple, if you know what I mean.
I know the BCN tech committee is looking at indexing BCN. Hopefully the BCN search issue will be resolved too.
Brenda, can you confirm this? Is the BCN search issue being looked at?
4. New Business
File Date issue -when was it Last updated and by who?
Can the document tree be visible thru anonymous FTP?
(read only FTP and real document management)
Currently the html files have a time stamp of last update<execcmd=filepath> therefore the last update date is always just now. It can be helpful when multiple users are updating the same web pageto know when the last update actually was
The answer is BCN cant because of some security issues related to providing anonymous access to the whole site
FTP is a security hole
DIPP provides little ability to do anything else than update web pages. It is technically possible to update DIPP to list files and read files BUT this would add additional stress to BCN volunteer Jim W. in maintaining the extra functionality to a growing number of over 200 DIPP users.
DIPP executed a perl script on the backside
A FUTURE TAC AGENDA ITEM?
ADDITIONAL MEETING COMMENTS
BCN needs a clubhouse of multiple computers large enough where a couple small groups can be working on a project during a meeting. Can turn TAC meetings into brain intensive work sessions to get things done - Neal
BCN should host an internet scavanger hunt - Neal
CGI PROBLEMS ON BCN?
assess by looking at how the server is administered
poking at the server can help tell us if the server has a CGI problem
logs can help tell us how bad of a problem it is
tells us which pages are being accessed
FUTURE TAC AGENDA ITEMS
Review & update action items
1. Conferencing / Chat software -Don D.
2. Domain Name Policy Documents - Neal & Jim W.
3. Indexing searching BCN update - Roy
How do we want searches on the BCN server to work?
What method do we want to use to find things?
How can we help people to quickly find the meat of the BCN website / commmunity?
4. FTP / DIPP File Date Issue - Paul V.