The Alliance of Boulder County
on Tobacco and Health
The Colorado Clean Indoor Air Act 2005
Proposed As of March 15, 2005
Declares that the purpose of the act is to preserve and improve the health,
comfort, and environment of the people of this state by limiting exposure to
Prohibits Smoking in Any Indoor Area, Including but not limited to:
- Public places and buildings such as elevators, restrooms, theaters,
museums, libraries, schools, educational institutions, retirement facilities
and nursing homes.
- Lobbies, reception areas, hallways, and any other common-use areas.
- Any place of employment not exempted.
- Restaurants, bars, limited gaming facilities, billiard or pool halls,
bowling alleys, grocery stores, and any food service establishment.
- Indoor sports arenas, gymnasiums, and auditoriums.
- Health care facilities, hospitals, health care clinics, doctor's offices,
and child day-care facilities.
- No less than 75% of hotel or motel sleeping quarters rented to guests.
- Jury waiting and deliberation rooms, courtrooms, public meetings.
- Government-owned mass transportation of any kind.
- Employers of less than four. Restaurants and bars ae not included in this exemption.
- Private homes, residences, and automobiles.
- Limousines under private hire.
- Up to 25% of rented hotel or motel rooms.
- Retail tobacco businesses.
- The outdoor area of any business.
Owners, managers, or individuals could be fined for violations. A violation
is Class 2 petty offense punishable by fines of up to $200 for a first time,
$300 for a second time, and up to $500 for each additional violation within a
- Allows the owner or manager of any place not listed or excluded in the act
to be included by the act by posting signs prohibiting smoking or providing
smoking and nonsmoking areas.
- Permits local authorities to enact smoking regulations that are no less
stringent than the act.
- Allows enforcement of such local regulations through the municipal courts or
- Prohibits the retaliation against any person or the discharge of any
employee for requesting enforcement of the act or otherwise reporting a
- Return to the
Alliance home page.
- URL of this page: