Boulder Area Environmental Topics - This page is under construction
This is an experimental Boulder Area Environmental Center.
This area will serve as a clearing house for Boulder Area environmental
information, including the local environment data, local environmental issues
and environmental research and organizations active in the Boulder Area.
A related page, Environmental Topics elsewhere on the Web will provide BCN with
pointers to environmental issues and resources around the world.
We are actively soliciting comments, critiques, corrections, new ideas,
and information sources from the public. There is lots of room for
volunteers here. We welcome folks with their own ideas as well as folks who
willing to take on many of the tasks already identified. Many of the tasks
are non-technical; including writing, information gathering and public
relations. If you the idea of this center please come and get involved.
Please send all mail to to email@example.com; a reply is guaranteed.
In this area we will try to maintain topical information on environmental
affairs including news and events, schedules for local environmental radio
and television programs and hot links to online sources of realtime and
historic Boulder County environmental data . If you know of anything
online or are involved in the collection or maintenance of any the following
information (or something related) please get in touch. As much as possible
we want to piggy back on existing WWW sites. Some ideas we are considering:
- Environment in the local media
- Links or refrences to environmental affairs in the local media including print, radio, and televison. For example:
- Environmental radio programs; local schedules
- Environmental television programs; local schedules
- Environmental issues in the local print media
- Environmental Events
- Workshops, group hikes, lectures, entertainment, fund raisers etc
- Current weather readings and historic weather and climate records.
- Real time weather and climate monitoring source available on line, weather maps and forcasts, special weather advisories, highway conditions, ski reports, city snow plowing priorities, snow pac status, historic records, etc. For example:
- Air quality status, alerts and historic records.
- Reports and restrictions from the Clean Air Campaign,
On Line Real time air quality monitoring, air pollution source identification and statics, etc.
Hazardous Material sources and disposal procedures in Boulder County
- Clean Air Status: Updated: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 08:23:31 -0700
- Water supply and demand information.
- Stream flow and water quality statics from USGS stream gages, water demand
statics and forecasts, ET estimates and watering recommendations, snow pack stat
us, reservoir levels, special water supply quality advisories, etc.
- Astronomical Events
- Events in the heavens, planets visable in the night ski, planetary conjunct
meteor showers and eclipses, special events, Fisk planetarium schedules.
- Wildlife Reports
- Unusual animal sitings, wildlife population statistics, endangered
species in the county (?), Monthly Audubon wildlife siting reports, etc
>Colorado Rare Bird Alert (or call (303)279-3076)
- Planning and Policy issues
- Special alerts on City Council and City and County Commission agenda
topics related to planning and growth, changes in City and County policy
land use policy, zoning and building code topics, Open space land purchase
plans and priorities, announcement of new major development plans, etc.
- Colorado Land Use issues
- Any special alerts on Colorado National Forest timber sales, Colorado
EPA Superfund sites, changes in Federal land use policies,
topics related to planning and growth, changes in City and County policy,
- .. and more ...
- please send us ideas, especially (but not only) you have time
and interest in helping to bring them to fruition.
It would be nice to provide a mini GIS system to fill this need.
Unfortunately this calls for a graphics capability that the initial
BCN environment is unlikely to provide (most users using lynx).
More likely this section will be limited to basic facts about
Boulder County and text descriptions of its features. If you think
graphics are worth considering let us know. Alternative suggestions
are also welcome.
Environmental issues have long been front page news in Boulder
and most local issues include some environmental factor. BCN
will never advocate a position on these issue but we may
try to present the undisputed facts in ongoing issues.
Some environmental news topics which come to mind:
Some environmental issues stand out in Boulder history
and would be nice to provide some information on these stories
for virtual vistors interested in our community. Some of these
could be pointers to named locations in other history documents.
Some that come to mind:
surely there are others, any Boulder Historians out there ?
- Flooding events in the City of Boulder
- Early acquisition of major water supply
- Fredrick Law Olmstead planning report - 1916 (?)
- Acquisition of mountain parks by trade for NCAR site
- Danish Plan
- Rocky Flats History
- Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan
- Aggressive Open Space acquisition
- Various episodes in the jobs vs environment controversy
- Boulder creek path and habitat restoration
This space is reserved for the numerous private and non-profit
environmental organizations active in Boulder County. We'd like to
mirror all the environmental groups listed on the Environmental Activism around the World page which are active in the Boulder Area, as well as local groups. If you
are involved in one of these groups, your info could be here ! Get in touch.
This section is designed to cover the nuts and bolts of the environmental
infrastructure in Boulder County including political, legal, and physical
structures which monitor the environment and regulate environmental impacts.
while meeting the populations needs and develping natural resource in the
- Water Supply in Boulder and along the Front Range
- Flood Control Planning and Prepardedness
- Domestic Sewage Treatment and Aquatic Environments
- Colorado Clean Air Campaign and Transportation Initiatives
- Solid Waste Management and Recycling
- Toxic Substance Hazards and Management
- Land Use Policy and the Open Space Program
- City and County Backcountry Recreation Management
- Population Projection and Long Range Planning Initiatives
- University of Colorado
- Colorado State University (Ft. Collins)
- University of Northern Colorado (Greeley)
The City of Boulder is home to several Federal agencies with
environmental mandates, and others maintain branch offices
here and at the Denver Federal Center near by. The following
is list of federal labs who maintain a major presence in Boulder
County. Additional information on Federal Agencies with an
environmental mandate can be found through the BCN page
National Federal Environmental Rearch.
BCN Boulder Area Environmental Topics / firstname.lastname@example.org