Boulder County Libraries
Cataloging and Dewey
- Cataloging Internet Resources - A Manual and Practical Guide, Nancy B. Olson, Editor
- Dewey Decimal Classifications Comprehensive list of all Dewey Decimal catagories from '000' Generalities to '999' Extraterrestrial Worlds.
- How to read a Dewey Decimal NumberSimple format with examples.
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- SunLink on the World Wide Web - a comprehensive search/source of full, brief and MARC records.
- Web Based Online Catalogs - The Web OPAC Forum - Geographical Index , Library-Type Index, Vendor Index,Z39.50 Resources, WEBCAT-L Mailing List, Link to HYTELNET, Link to Publishers' Catalogues and more.
Colorado Library Resources
School Library Resources
- School Libraries on the Web: A Directory - "This is a list of library web pages maintained by K-12 school libraries in the United States and in countries around the world. This directory is limited to listing pages which focus on the school library/media center. The content of these pages is quite varied and displays the marvelous creativity of school librarians around the world."
- ACQWEB - Central location for librarians and other professionals interested in acquisitions and collection development.
- OCLC - is a nonprofit, membership, library computer service and research organization dedicated to the public purposes of furthering access to the world's information and reducing information costs.
- Online Books.com - This is a jump off point to 20,000 free books online. Updated frequently so the links are current.
- Digital Rights Management American Library Association page. Discusses Civil Liberties, Right to Privacy, Copywrite laws
- Internet Library for Librarians - Wow! This site has it all. A comprehensive Web database designed to provide a one-stop center for librarians to locate Internet resources related to their profession. A must see.
- Library of Congress Classification System - The Library of Congress Classification System (LC System) is used to organize books in many academic and university libraries throughout the United States and world.
- The Center for Media Literacy - develops and distributes educational materials and programs that promote critical thinking about the media: from television to t-shirts, from billboards to the Internet. It promotes an expanded definition of literacy beyond reading and writing, to include how to read the messages conveyed through visual images (television and movies), music, advertising, etc.
- Research-It! - A "one-stop reference desk". Online dictionaries, thesauri, language translators, quotations, biographical references, maps, phone book, currency converter, stock markets, postal and shipping, listservs.
Specialized Library Collections On Line
- Membership site (free). Contains a consumer oriented clinical database with information on hundreds of diseases and medical syndromes. The downside are annoying popup advertising some of the site's for fee services.
- Maternal and Child Health Library from Georgetown University. Heavy on Advocacy and Resources for Maternal/ Child health and welfare.
United States Library Resources
- Harvard University Libraries and Museums - The Harvard library system is the oldest in the United States and the largest academic library in the world. Books, manuscripts, microforms, maps, slides, photographs, and other materials are housed in more than 90 individual collections. Harvard's online library Catalog includes descriptions of over 8.5 million books, manuscripts, microforms, maps, slides, photographs, and other materials housed in the
libraries' collections. The Catalog is available through the HOLLIS Web site with a telnet connection.
- New York Public Library
- University of California at Berkeley
- Library of Congress
- Random House Library Resources - a searchable catalog of over 15,000 titles; A biweekly e-mail newsletter that brings the latest developments on special promotions, author tours, awards; Recommended library media reviews of new adult books; A monthly e-mail newsletter; content on the Books@Random web site.
- American Universities - Links to American Universities who grant bachelor or advanced degrees.
- University of California at Santa Cruz - Cutting edge digital acquiring University Library.
- The Internet Public Library - The Internet Public Library is the first public library of the Internet. Its goals are to provide library services to the Internet community, to learn and teach what librarians have to contribute in a digital environment, to promote librarianship and the importance of libraries, and to share interesting ideas and techniques with other librarians.
- Library of Congress Gateway to library catalogs around the world (via the Z39.50 standard)- Welcome to the Library of Congress Page for gateway access to LC's catalog and those at many other institutions.
- Cleveland Public Library, Electronic Collection
- List of USENET FAQs
- Smithsonian Institution Libraries - Digital Collections, Electronic Journals, Libraries' Publications, Databases for SI Staff, Fellowships and Interns Development, Exhibitions and Programs,Translations Programs, Reference Desk, Interlibrary Loan Services, Management Services, and Technical Services.