Boulder Community Network
BCN Home Page |
What's New |
Last Update: March 1, 1999.
How To Be Ready for Y2K.
Some personal steps from the American Red Cross and the U.S.
Department of Agriculture.
- The following are some personal preparedness steps suggested by the
American Red Cross and the U.S Department of Agriculture -
- Build up a stock of disaster supplies to last several days to a week.
These supplies should include non-perishable foods, stored water, and an ample
supply of medications that the family uses regularly.
- Have extra cash or traveler's checks on hand in case credit card or ATM
transactions are disrupted. Make the withdrawals from your bank in small
amounts over several months well before December 31.
- Be prepared for some degree of power outages by having alternative cooking
devices available. Have extra blankets, coats, hats and gloves to keep warm
during several days of old weather. Don't use gas-powered appliances, such as
a kitchen stove, for heating.
- Check with manufacturers of computer-controlled electronic equipment to see if
the devices are Y2K compliant. This includes alarm systems, electronic locks,
garage door openers, household appliances, thermostats, and in general, any
other equipment that may be controlled by embedded computer chips.
- Have an ample supply of flashlights and batteries on hand.
- Keep your vehicle's gasoline tank more than half full all the time.
- Be prepared to be able to move to another shelter for warmth in case of a
prolonged power outage.
- Red Cross Brochures, http://www.redcross.org/disaster/safety/down.html
- Department of Agriculture; select Y2K
- Return to top of the BCN Y2K home page.
- Return to the BCN home page.
- Please send any comments, additions or corrections about this Y2K
center page to: y2k.
- This information has been brought to you by the Boulder Community Network
(BCN). BCN is Boulder Colorado's non-profit sector ambassador to the world of
information technology and the Internet.
- If this information is of use to you, please consider making a
tax-deductable contribution to support BCN in the future.
See the contributions
- Revised '27-Jun-2002,10:21:26'
- URL of this page: http://bcn.boulder.co.us/y2k/y2kbtrdy.htm
- Y2K Center Coordinator: E. Stiltner