Prepared for the
RMIUG Podcasting Meeting, 2005-11-08
With Joe Pezzillo's examples and notes on podcasts
Online with links at: http://mcburnett.org/neal/talks/collaborative_podcasting.html
KGNU 88.5 FM Boulder, 1390 AM Denver, kgnu.org worldwide
- Independent noncommercial community radio for Boulder, Denver and beyond
- Volunteers plus small staff
- Streaming and audio downloads since 1995
- Leverage grassroots energy - collaborative podcasting
Enabled by Open Standards
- Internet, Web, XML
- RSS 2.0
- MP3 software patents alleged, supressing innovation
- MP3 decoder patents - not actively enforced? Free encoder widely used
- Ogg Vorbis - technically excellent, patent-free
- Mac: AAC also entangled with patent issues
- Bandwidth, bitrates, mono/stereo, etc.
- Metadata Tag Standards - Id3 Tags, Vorbis tags, etc.
- Integrate into your human and computer processes
- Determine copyright strategy. E.g. Creative Commons "Share and Share Alike"
- Lots of freely-available music and other content you can use
- Deployment platforms: Linux, Mac, Windows
- Linux audio subsystem: ALSA and JACK - infinitely configurable
- Linux software: audacity, ogg vorbis, lame, id3v2
- Content Management System: Plone, Drupal, etc.
- Zope, and Plone ATAudio: ID3 tag extraction from uploaded MP3's
- Let volunteers and listeners markup audio archives and streams with tags, links, commentary
- Lots of possibilities. Help!
- Web 2.0
- Wiki meets audio?
- SMIL - Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language
- XSPF - XML Shareable Playlist Format
- Annodex and CMML - Continuous Media Markup Language: the "Continuous Media Web"
- Apache mod-annodex, and Firefox Annodex Extension
- Call-in show tagging via automated inputs from computers and PBX (asterix?)
- Others doing this sort of thing?
- Migration to Ogg - can players signal audio format choice preferences?
- Who wants to put the Colorado legislature audio up as an annotated podcast?
Joe Pezzillo's examples and notes on podcasts
On the Internets
Some Local Podcasts
Futures: Ease of Use
Futures: Citizen Journalism