Photo copyright Jim Knopf
The range of water costs is spectacular, and it affects landscape water bills and water use dramatically. This is clearly illustrated by comparing the hourly costs of using local drinking water to irrigate landscaping.
The Hourly Cost of Irrigating Landscaping with Drinking Water:
(Based on two 5/8 inch garden hoses at 60 pounds-per-square-inch pressure)
City Cost / Hour
- Denver, CO $.80
- Boulder, CO $2.15
- Thornton, CO $2.11 (in city) $ 3.16 (outside city)
- Lafayette, CO $3.40 (in city ) $6.80 (outside city)
- Pine Brook Hills, CO $18.50
- Santa Fe, NM $42.00 (at highest '96 emergency rate)
- Roxby Downs, Australia1 $3.20 (US) ...$5.60 (Aus)
Notes 1 Full cost of desalted water.
2 Subsidized cost to homeowners.
US costs are subsidized, not full cost.
Sources: Information is from the cities listed.